B. Borooah College was started in the year 1943 with intermediate classes under the Calcutta University and History was one of the optional subjects. In 1952, the college was elevated to a Degree Course college under the Gauhati University. Honours classes in History were opened in 1952.
Many devoted teachers rendered their valuable services to the department so far. The founder teacher of the department was Gyananda Prasad Sharma. Some of the teachers who served in the department are Dr. Surya Kanta Barpujari, Kulada Charan Bhagawoti, Prasana Sharma, Abdul Ohid, Dr Arun Kr. Bhattacharyya, Mrs Hena Rajkumari, Dr. Sunil Pawan Baruah. Late Prasana Sharma was the first Head of the department of History when honours course was introduced.
Department of History formed a “Historical Association” on the 14th September 2005 to conduct the departmental activities such as seminars, study tours etc. Every year department organizes seminars and popular talks for the benefit of the students.
A departmental library has been maintained. There are about 100 books, which includes textbooks and reference books.
From 2011 onwards, the department is publishing an annual magazine Annals.
The department maintains a library in the Department. It is to be noted that all the collection of the library were destroyed in the devastating fire that gutted the college on 3rd March 2005. Now there are about two hundred books in the library. Most of the books are generally textbooks.
|1||Insurgency in Assam.||College fund.||11/10/2007|
|2||Spread of communism and its popularity in the 20th century.||College fund.||29/11/2007|
|3||Media and informed audience.||College fund.||6/11/2008|
|4||Studies of Indology by Western scholars.||College fund.||23/11/2009|
|5||Missionary activities in Assam.||College fund.||26/11/2010|
|6||Re-reading History: A People’s perspective||College fund.||19/11/2011|