The B. Borooah College Women’s Forum was formed on 15 February, 2010 as notified by the Vice Principal, B. Borooah College, taking Dr. Dinesh Baishya, Principal B. Borooah College as Chief Patron, Prof. Madhurima Das Deka as President and Prof. Pranati Bortamuli Baruah as General Secretary. This committee served for two years. A new executive body has been formed on 21 February, 2012. The old executive body handed over the charge to the newly formed executive body on 2 March, 2012.“The Internal Complain Committee” (ICC) was also formed on the same day. The forum in its initial stage personally met the president, secretary, and members of Cotton College Women’s Forum and sought their valuable advice.
The objectives of the forum are mainly to look into the issues related to the problems of the development of women in general and the problems of the girl students of our college in particular. Besides it also aims to take up some extended activities.
The forum decided to collect Rs. 500/- (Five hundred only) as annual membership fee, for the smooth running of the forum.
The Structure of the present executive committee:
||Principal, B. Borooah College.
||Prof. Joyashree Goswami Borthakur, Prof Gitashree Tamuli.
||Prof. Dr. Jyoti Rani Sinha Borah.
||Dr. Maina Sarma.
||Ms. Ajanita Das Dutta.
|Asst. Gen. Secretary:
||Ms Pinky Das
||Dr. Reema Choudhry Chakraborty.
||Prof. Jolly Majumdar, Ms Pratibha Devi, Dr. Nijara Goswami, Ms Gitanjali Das
RECENT ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMMES
Lecture Programme on Safety rules for Girls students on 21/03/2015 organized by a Guwhati based NGO working for protection for women from Domestic violence and safety of girl students outside the home and roadside.
- Workshop on Art and Craft on 04/04/2015 organized by Pidilite Industries limited in assciation with BBCWF.
- Seminar on Behavioural and attitudinal change on 09/11/2013 organized by BBCWF at College Campus.
- Worksho on Cooking on 32/12/2013 organized by BBCWF
PAST ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMMES
In the last two years, the forum had organised several lectures and workshops in the college on different issues of interest. A survey on the problems of girl students of our college was carried out.
- On 28th August 2010 the forum organised a lecture on the topic of ‘Cervical Cancer: Its Prevention and Early Detection’ in the college auditorium. The speaker was Dr. Amal Chandra Kotoki, Director, Dr. B. Baruah Cancer Institute, Guwahati who spoke at length about the common types of cancer and how their early detection can help in lengthening a person’s life.
- The forum celebrated the International Women’s Day on 8th March 2010 for the first time by organizing a meeting under the president ship of Prof. Madhurima Das Deka, president, BBCWF. In the meeting Dr. Dinesh Baishya, Principal, B.Borooah College and Chief Patron, BBCWF offered valuable advice in his speech. Dr. Jyoti Rani Sinha Borah, Head of the Dept. of Education also delivered a speech highlighting the history and significance of the international women’s day.
- In the month of October, 2010 the forum organised computer classes for the members in the B.Sc (I.T) computer laboratory under the guidance of Ms. Dharitri Konwar and Ms. Mousumi Gogoi, Guest lecturer, B.Borooah College.
- A six-day workshop on ‘PRANAYAM’ was organised by BBCWF from 8 to 13 November, 2010 in collaboration with the ‘Patanjali Yoga Samiti’, Guwahati Branch. The workshop was conducted by Mr. Bikash Goswami, Director of Patanjalee Yoga Samiti, Guwahati branch and life member of Patanjali Yoga Pith, Haridwar in the college auditorium. Many students and teachers of the college actively participated in the workshop and expressed their feelings and experiences.
- On 29 January, 2011, a talk on the topic of “The Concept of Self in Radhakrishnan and Existentialism-A Comparative Study” was organised by the forum. Dr. Pranati Devi, Department of Philosophy of our college explained the concept of the self from Indian western point of view and the views of Dr. Radhakrishnan’s theory of karma in the light of Newton’s Law of Motion.
- On 29 January, 2011 a demonstration of handicrafts was done by Miss Purabi Konwar.
- The forum celebrated the International Women’s Day for the second time by organising a meeting along with some cultural programme on 8 March, 2011.
- The forum organised a farewell function for Prof. Madhurima Das Deka, Vice Principal, BBC & president BBCWF on 29 May, 2011.
- The forum organised a popular talk on “People, Object and Events that Shaped Me” by Dr.Santana Bordoloi, Dispur Hospital. She is an Award winner for the direction of Assamese film ‘Adhajjya’.
- The forum organised an awareness programme on “SKIN AND HAIR” in the college auditorium in collaboration with “Himalaya Herbal Health Care” on 26 September, 2011. The instructor of the programme was Dr. Indrani Dey, Department of Dermatology, Guwahati Medical College.
- Few members of BBCWF visited for “NAVACHETANA” the centre for homeless mentally ill women and distributed clothes, fruits, biscuits etc. The members exchanged different views with them as well as with the organisers and also with Mrs. Anjana Goswami, Director, Nava Chetana.
- The forum observed ‘International Women’s Day’ on 19 March, 2012 and invited Dr. Rita Chowdhury, eminent writer as Chief Guest. On this occasion “KHOJ- A STEP” the first issue of B. Borooah College Women’s Forum magazine was released by Dr. Rita Chowdhury. The editors of the magazine were Dr. Nivedita Goswami, Dept. of Eonomics and Dr. Indu Prava Devi, Dept. of Assamese.
- On 12 June, 2012 and 19 October, 2012 a donation programme was organised by the forum. On those days few members of the forum visited the organisation ‘GOLD’ (Global Organisation for Life Development), Dakshin Saraniya, Guwahati and donated some essential commodities like clothes, biscuits, etc.
- On 18 September,2012, the forum organised an awareness programme on DIAL-100 in collaboration with Assam Police and North East Girls’ Student Association (NEGSA). In this programme Leena Doley, Additional SP, Assam police and Amitabh Singh, Additional SP, Guwahati City spoke about the use of the DIAL-100 facility initiated by Assam Police.
- On 15 October, 2012 a lecture programme on ‘ART OF LIVING’ was organised by the forum in the Lecture Gallery of B. Borooah College. The speakers were Mrs. Uttara Borah, Ms. Jyoti Agarwala and Mrs. Sabita Bhutani.
- A three-day workshop on ‘PRANAYAM’ was organised by BBCWF from 15 to 17 November, 2012 in collaboration with the ‘Patanjali Yoga Samiti’, Guwahati Branch. The workshop was conducted by Mr. Bikash Goswami, Director of Patanjalee Yoga Samiti, Guwahati branch and life member of Patanjali Yoga Pith, Haridwar in the College auditorium. Mrs. Dipali Brahma and Padma Narzary members of ‘Patanjali Yoga Samiti’ were teachers of the programme. Many students and teachers of the college actively participated in the workshop and expressed their feelings and experiences and made the programme a great success.'