NSS was launched in the Mahatma Gandhi’s Birth centenary year 1969, as a student youth service programme. NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS) aims at arousing social consciousness of the youth an overall objective of “PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT OF THE STUDENTS THROUGH COMMUNITY SERVICE”.
OBJECTIVES OF NSS:
The broad objectives of NSS are to:
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- Develop capacity to meet emergences and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
MOTTO: “Not Me, But You”
TOTAL VOLUNTEERS:100 (58 boys, 42 girls)
NAME OF THE PROGRAMME OFFICER:Mr. Satyabrata Baruah
BRIEF INTRODUCTION OF THE PROGRAMME OFFICER:
In order to conduct the programme and activities of NSS smoothly the Programme Officer attended orientation course held at Indian Institute of Entrepreneurship (IIE) from 22nd to 28th June 2014 just after taking responsibility as PO. The Programme Officer plays an active role as organizer of XIX National Youth Festival, 2015 organized at Guwahati from 8-12 January, 2015. He has actively involved in all activities initiated by Regional Office, National Service Scheme as well as Gauhati University NSS cell.
ACTIVITIES UNDERTAKEN BY THE UNIT:
Rochang Gogoi & Kristi Kankana Moudgullya selected to represent North-East in YUVA Meet 2016 organized by The Energy and Resource Institute on the topic “Developing Skills and Social Entrepreneurship for a Sustainable Future” held at New Delhi on 29th & 30th January, 2016. In the Meet, the Group of Rochang Gogoi won 1st position.
- Fifty (50) volunteers of the unit gave extensive service in the 12th South Asian Games, 2016 held at Guwahati and Shillong from 6th February to 16th February. The volunteers took responsibility in different areas like accreditation, accommodation, transportation, hospitality, refreshment etc. Even one of the volunteer named by Shah Alam Ali played the role of “TIKHOR” the official mascot of 12th SAG, 2016 in communicational functional area.
- Gauhati University NSS Cell organized a workshop on Digital India under the sponsorship of Department of Electronic and Communication, Govt. of India at Gauhati University on 3rd March, 2016. Fourteen volunteers of B. Borooah College NSS Unit actively take part of it. On that workshop B. Borooah College NSS Unit play a skit on “Digital India” to sensitize the masses about e-services.
- The NSS volunteers donated blood whenever necessary. It has been recorded that from September 2014 to May 2016, 30 volunteers have donated blood in various occasions.
Four volunteers were selected to participate “National Integration Camp” at Guwahati sponsored by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. of India held at Arya Vidyapeeth College, Guwahati commenced from 3rd to 9th January, 2015.
- Eight volunteers were participated on XIX National Youth Festival, 2015 organized at Guwahati from 8-12 January, 2015. The volunteers were represented Assam State especially ‘Suvissar’ programme held at Donbosco School, Panbazar.
- One volunteer selected to participate NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME MEGA CAMP, 2015 held at Majuli and Dibrugarh University from 19th January to 30th January, 2015 organized by NSS regional Centre, Guwahati and Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh.
- Ten volunteers were participated in a youth seminar organized by The Energy and Resource Institute under the theme “Sustainable Solutions for Access to Safe water: Promoting Innovation and Collaboration”. Out of the Ten participants Three were selected to participate YUVA (Youth Unite for Voluntary Action) Meet 2015 held at New Delhi, on 2-3 February 2015. In this meet 173 youth participants from 66 college in India and 8 other nations (Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, Canada, Bangadesh, Nigeria, Swaziland, Thailand).
- Flood relief camp was organized on 9th and 10th September 2015 under the initiation of NSS Unit. In the camp majority of teachers and students donated clothes, food items and utensils.
- B. Borooah College NSS Unit celebrated International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on 26th June, 2014 by organizing a rally to sensitize the students and common masses against drug abuse and illicit trafficking. All the NSS volunteers were participated in the rally.
- Seven days NSS Special Camp was organized from 12-7-2014 to 18-7-2014 on the theme “Nature: At your Service” at Panjabari, Batahghuli. Forty NSS volunteers and Thirty Six local persons were participated in the camp. During the period cleanliness drive, tree plantation, interaction programme, street play and an open meeting was held. An interaction programme was also conducted with Parijat Academy, A unique School. Students were become very much impressed to talk with the Head Master, Uttam Teron.