B. Borooah College was established in the year 1943. Along with English, Assamese, Sanskrit and History, Economics were taught in the college from 1943. The Department of Economics consisted of both Economics and Political science. Late Parmeswar Sarmah was the HOD of Economics. He was also the Vice principal of the College at that time. The Gauhati University separated Economics and Political Science in !958 and a full fledged department of Political Science started in B.Borooah College in 1961. Dr. Brinendra Dutta was the first HOD of the Political science department.
Department organizes seminars, invited lectures on different topics for the benefit of students
A departmental library has been maintained for the benefits of students. There are about 150 books which includes textbooks and reference books. Books are issued to the students once in a week. Mrs. Juri Das Choudhury is the teacher in-charge of the library.